Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Happy, Happy, Birthday

Even though we are having a real live birthday party for Emily this weekend, I just could not let the day pass without celebrating a little. I'm just going to go ahead and put it out there that it was totally for my benefit. She was completely confused about what was happening and besides really liking some cake, could have cared less. However, some day, she will see pictures of herself on her real 1st birthday and think, "Oh, I have the sweetest, kindest, most thoughtful mom ever." Or something like that...



I whipped up some dairy free cake and we lit a candle and we sang to her. She had a smile on her face, but it was sort of that smile people get when they are shocked, and know they should be happy, but are a little afraid. Manic smile, sort of! I put our family birthday hat on her. Not impressed. Drew blew out her candle-he almost knocked me over going for it when I told him he could. I got her two little presents. And, because I have no shame, I'll admit to you that they both came from the dollar bin at Target! I got her a Sesame Street book because she is obsessed with another one we have. She loved it. And I got her an Elmo figurine. Because, again, she 's obsessed. I probably should've planned to have an Elmo party for her. But she didn't love Elmo approximately 6 months ago when I started planning her party!! I love parties. A lot.







Oh, she was initiated into the Hamilton girl batter licking club. I have no doubt that my mom and my sisters and I really have no need to ever bake anything. We are totally fine with any and all batter. And you can be sure that if you are making any sort of baked goods at a family event, somebody's fingers are going to be in your bowl! She did me proud. Loved.every.minute. Here she is licking her spoon:


I don't know if it's purely psychological or what, but I feel like she is all of a sudden so big. She just seems different to me. Like a bunch of light bulbs came on all at once. It is beyond fun. I'm going to list some more words she has been saying. Not because I'm a big egomaniac about it, but because I want to be able to look back and remember. Somewhere I have a notebook chronicling all of Drew's words. Key word being "somewhere"...

[And let me just pause to say that a few lines up I typed "want" as "wan't". Sweet mercy. I'm going to need to proofread this like 87 times. Which I probably won't, so let me just give a blanket apology-sorry.]

Today she said "ball" (and this one she said unprompted when I handed her a ball); "night-night", she is trying to say, "Drew Drew"; "please" and "puppy"-which sounds suspiciously like "cookies" but she says it every time she sees a dog. I think Van taught her that one. It's his favorite word!

Big party fun coming up this weekend! All the family converges on Nashville to celebrate the only two girl grandchildren. I hope I will take more than six pictures. And I also hope it won't take me 6 months to post them. I aim high. Just sayin'.

No comments: