Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Merry Christmas!!

I really have no idea how to sum up our Christmas in a blog post. And I didn't even really get that many pictures, because it is always so hectic that I forget. It never could have really captured the moments anyway.

The same weekend of Cookie Day we celebrated Christmas with my family. This consists of a giant present-opening free-for-all since there are three two year olds ready to get ripping! Their styles were very different. Each present Weston opened he wanted to sit and play with it for a while. Meanwhile, Drew was mostly into the opening part. Give me the present, I'll rip the paper off, hand you what's inside and move on to the next one. He really caught the fever and then very "generously" offered to help everyone else open their presents. It was really fun.

Christmas Eve we celebrated at our house with a really mixed group! My mom, Daniel's dad, Uncle Mick (Dan's brother) and his girlfriend Lindsey, Uncle Sam (my brother), and Uncle Jon, Aunt Katy and Lyla! It was another par-tay. I had one more present for Lyla that I forgot to give her in Knoxville, so she and Drew got an open early-plastic microphones-they were a hit! We ate a ton more junk food and finally put Drew to bed. Then it was time to get to work. I enlisted everyone's help to serve as Santa's helpers. And, yes, I waited until Christmas Eve to finish wrapping. Hey! I had a lot to do this month! At least they got wrapped!

Daniel and Uncle Mick worked on the tool bench. This was like a total rite of passage moment for Dan. Welcome to fatherhood!!




And I love the look on Daniel's face in this one!!


I got Drew a mini trampoline to burn off the pent up energy in the dead of winter. It was a DOOZY to put together. Who knew?? This is the story of my life. I have a "great" idea and then tons of people get roped into pulling it off. Just ask anyone who used to work with me! So, Grandad, Uncle Sam and I toiled over the trampoline. You know the one he jumped on about twice? Yeah, that one.



Christmas morning came and Drew was super excited. The first thing he said to me when I went in to get him out of bed was "Open presents?" We waited for Uncle Mick and Lindsey to get here (which we all realize is probably the last time we'll be able to pull that off!) so we watched for them out Drew's bedroom window. When he finally saw them pull up, I thought he was going to burst with excitement. He said through gritted teeth, "OPEN PRESENTS!!" He did such a great job and was much less greedy than round 1 in Knoxville. He really loved handing out the gifts that he made for everyone and watching everyone else open their presents. Every time someone would get ready to open one he would say "Wait, see!" (Translation: Wait and see!) He got a boat load of loot and definitely wanted to open up everything right away.







It was a wonderful day.

All the while I kept my advent Christ candle burning. Every day of the season I tried to pause and reflect on the candle and just what all the hoopla is really about. At times, I felt a little like Drew, getting Baby Jesus and Santa and everything all jumbled up together. That's why I love the day after Christmas. For me it's the time to sit back and say, "Hope has come!" I love the food, fun and family of Christmas. But mostly I love that I am loved, forgiven, and set free.

"And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:10-11

No comments: