Thursday, March 26, 2009

Undomestic Goddess

I stole the title of this post from one of my favorite books "Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella. Have you read her books?? If you haven't, and you're looking for a laugh-out-loud book to read, she is your woman. I recommend you start with Shopaholic (only if you HAVEN'T seen the movie). They are great.

But, I digress. What this post is really about is my sad lacking in housekeeping skills. There are several women in my life who are the queens of keeping house. You could never find a speck of dust anywhere in their home, their toilets are always sparkly, and they are always exhausted. Ha! Just kidding. I'm not really sure where I've been for the past 3 months or so. Or, who exactly, I thought was cleaning my house while I was away, but dang her, she didn't show up.

Somehow, over the weekend, I took a good look around and was horrified. So, I went on a total rampage. I moved furniture, I scrubbed, I cussed-just being honest. And let me just say, I did things I've NEVER done before. Such as clean the outside of my windows!! I know I should be embarrassed admitting that, but frankly, I'm not.

In the midst of my rampage I have discovered a new cleaning product to add to the must have list. It is kind of new-It is Soft Scrub scrubbing pads. I saw a commercial on t.v. for these and had to try them. They are fantastic. And, if you go to the Soft Scrub website you can print off a coupon. You know why I love products like this? Because I hate the term "elbow grease". This is a term thrown around by people like Martha Stewart and Heloise. But, you can be sure when someone says, "You will need to use some elbow grease" what they really mean is "This is going to take the better part of your day." I'm the kind of person who would rather leave a crusty pot in the sink overnight to soak than to scrub it for a half hour just to have the sink cleared out. (I know, I know. Some of you are having some serious heart palpitations about now!) These little scrubby pads (and my good friend the Magic Eraser) lets me do jobs in the time I have-which is usually around .5 seconds.

The job that sealed the deal was the soap scum on my shower door. We have a separate shower and bath in our master bathroom and in the words of my good friend Beth "This seems great at first, and then you realize it's just two things to clean instead of one." So true. And a glass shower door??? Ugh. So many reasons I hate these. And the biggest reason I hate them is because they are a giant magnet for soap scum. I have been having a serious feud with my shower door since we moved in. This week, I'm winning. Well, after a crushing defeat for the last three months.

And, of course, because it's me, the week's cleaning rampage was not without mishaps. I almost set the house on fire with the vacuum cleaner yesterday. RIP dear vacuum cleaner. You have served us well.

No comments: