Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Caped Crusader

Right around Halloween, we were invited to our second classmate birthday party. Clearly, this is my first year of classmate birthday parties, because I still think it's fun. I'm sure in a few years I'll be groaning and complaining about ALL the parties. In Drew's class, all the kids have birthdays within weeks of each other, so it's been a little heavy on the birthday fun. Ok. Back to the party we attended. It was a super hero party and Drew was ecstatic to wear his Batman outfit to the park for some fun. And then. AND THEN. Spiderman showed up to the party.

I had no idea this was going to happen, and I will never, never forget the look on Drew's face when he realized what was happening. I wish I could explain it to you. Astonishment, delight. FREAKING OUT. And this guy who was playing Spiderman-he was awesome. I have never met a character more dedicated to his craft! Ha!

And so, that was all she wrote. Out the window went my plans to have a party off-site with someone else doing all the work. Because, when he looked up at me with that face and said, "Mommy, can a superhero come to my party?" well, I was all done in. I don't know if it's just me or if it's all moms, but there is something about watching his biggest wishes come true.

I set to work. The first order of business was to ask the mom of the Spiderman party if she would be beyond annoyed if I totally ripped off her idea. She laughed and said, "No way. Because I totally ripped the idea off from someone else." And so it goes in the land of moms, I guess. Next, I was nervous because it was only a month away? Would Batman be able to make it?? I contacted the company and dealt with THE NICEST MAN EVER and was assured that this same guy did Batman and was available! Katy and I worked on our cupcake vision and she labored over the fondant for me. We made signs and scrambled around. I worked myself into a completely unnecessary lather, as usual. And it was all totally worth it.

Cupcakes:


My little Batman


Spiderman arrives!


The Dark Knight!!!


Batman's tricks


By the way, photo credits ALL go to Katy. I've dubbed her my own personal photographer-among other things-because she takes great pictures (and actually remembers to take them...) For example. Check out this next picture. Do you see Drew's face?? And his little friend looking at him knowing he must be ecstatic...Classic.


Drew and Weston with cupcake mouths


The group shot


The boy and his hero. Be still my heart...

No comments: