Monday, December 27, 2010

Hangover

Ooh, ooh. Two new posts. Whatever is the world coming to??

Today I took the kids to Target just to get out of the house. I couldn't listen to the bickering-yes, between a 4 year old and his FOURTEEN month old sister-for another minute. I think the three of us were getting a little stir crazy. So, what else would I do to entertain us besides go to Target??? Plus, Drew had a "shopping card" that was burning a hole in his pocket. To be more exact, it was a burning a hole on the bookshelf, because no way am I letting him tote around a gift card in his pocket.

When we got to Target and started walking around, I almost started laughing out loud. It looked like some kind of war refugee scene. Every single person in there looked like they had been hit by a bus. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. Because, really, you should've seen me. And actually, I don't think any one of them would've argued the point with me. They were all too tired to care.

Moms out there know the feeling all too well. You should head over to Suburban Turmoil and read her post. All I can say is, Amen and Amen.

I know some people get a down in the dumps feeling the day after Christmas. Not me. It is one of my most favorite days in the year. This probably speaks to my melancholy outlook in general, but something about it feels so good. The decorations are still up, the treats are still around, it looks like a toy bomb went off in the house. But. But, there's nothing out there, waiting to be done. Nothing nagging the back of my mind. No programs to attend, no outfits to pick out, no menus to plan and no more midnight shopping trips at Wal-Mart. Praise the Lord, hallelujah.

I am always excited for the holiday season to roll around. And somehow, this year, everything got done even though I tried to let go of my inner holiday nazi. Amazing how that works. The kids had a blast and I tried to supply them with a little holiday magic. But as the dust has settled, I can feel my soul taking a big, deep breath.

So, to all you moms out there, "Merry quiet days following Christmas!"

No comments: