Friday, December 31, 2010

All She Wrote...

2010 is on his way out.

It's New Year's Eve.

I won't try to sum up the past year in this post, but instead regale you with more and more stories about my kids! I have a lot going on in the soul these days, and hopefully, there will come a time to share. But for now...

Just yesterday my sister and I were discussing the inevitability of the public poop. I apologize for using the word "poop" here so freely, but after a certain point, it just loses its' power as a gross word. So, just a mere 12 hours later, I was standing in line at the post office (because have you ever been to the post office when there isn't a line??) and Drew *shouts* "Mom, I need to POOP right now." I wish I was the kind of person who always immediately said the right thing the first time around. You know the right thing like, "Ok, sweetie, let's finish up here and then we'll talk about it." Which I got to after I said, "SSSSSSSHHHHHHH!! Drew! You're just going to have to hold it. We live just a few minutes from here. You'll be fine." To which he said, "Mommy!" (through gritted teeth) "You just don't want me to go because you don't want to take me." What? No, I don't want to take you to yet ANOTHER disgusting public restroom where you will, without doubt, touch the toilet with your hands, your rear end and probably bend over to touch the floor. In a public restroom. Gag. me. Finally, I got to the nice way to handle it, diffusing the situation. After the whole lobby of the post office had a good laugh. I'm sure my neck was breaking out. (Have I mentioned the neck thing here? Yeah, anytime I am embarrassed or angry, my neck breaks out. It's awesome.)

We left the post office and headed next door to Staples. Which, was handy because I'm very familiar with their bathroom. We've been before. Every time we go. The moment was had and all I could do was try not to have a seizure over all the disgusting around us.

Did I mention all of this happened while my children were pajama clad??

This follows up a poop round at Target yesterday. We had been shopping for ALL OF 10 minutes when the poop announcement came. Not so shouty as today, but public nonetheless. What makes this situation all the worse is having to hold Emily in the restroom while Drew is doing his business. She wants nothing more than to unroll the toilet paper as fast as possible. So, it's a lot like holding a cat who definitely doesn't want to be held. Good times. As we walked in the restroom at Target, it quickly became apparent that someone else, of the adult persuasion, had felt the urge as well. And Drew says, "Shew!! It smells gross in here!" Neck.breaking.out. I mean really. I think the poor girl really tried to wait us out, but clearly she was not prepared for all the dawdling that goes along with being 4.

I'm sure there are many more public restroom visits to come. I'm thinking of inventing some antibacterial body lotion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.