Friday, December 21, 2012

Let the Christmas-ing Commence!

I am officially on Christmas break!!  Woo and Hoo!!!

Y'all know how much I love my kiddos-always-but I'm just plain old worn out.  This semester has seen me going 6, sometimes 7 days a week, and almost everything I've been working on has required me to be a major extrovert for the majority of the time.  Me? An extrovert for 6 straight days?  Thanks but no thanks!!

In case I haven't mentioned it, I commend every teacher everywhere.  Even the slightly shady ones.  Teaching is a command performance day after day.  If you think kids (especially little ones) are going to let you get away with coasting, you can forget it! They will watch you like a hawk.  And call you out.  Usually in front of their parents.

So, I haven't been able to fully engage with Christmas time around the homestead just yet.  I needed to close a few other file drawers.  Grad school drawer-closed. And locked! Preschool drawer-closed.  Home drawer-OPEN for business!!

We started our Christmas-ing a couple nights ago when I forced my children to listen to chapter one of my favorite Christmas book:


I have loved this book so much since the first time I read it in fourth grade.  Drew is pretty into it even though he doesn't love reading a chapter book (sad face) but Emily declared the book is too long and she decided to watch Letter Factory instead.  I refuse to give up hope that my kids will be book lovers. Wonder how many of my favorites they'll have  get to enjoy??

Today we followed up with decorating a gingerbread house.  I got a special pre-fab edition that pretty much just requires slapping on some icing and putting on the candies.  Pre-fab is perfect for my current stage of life.  Once upon a time I built an Eiffel Tower out of gingerbread for my sister's bridesmaid luncheon.  I laugh at that self who thought she was so busy!

The gingerbread pre-fab home decorating consisted largely of Emily licking icing and eating decorations (she is so her mother's child...) and of Drew telling Emily to stop eating the decorations and acting as the top quality control director (also...his mother's child...)  It was a little intense and I had to keep reminding them to HAVE FUN, for pity's sake.  But, it turned out pretty spectacular.




Do you see the little star there?  That's Drew's doorknob.  It's my favorite part of the whole thing.

I'm looking forward to some more Christmas fun.  I can't believe Christmas will be here in FOUR days.

That means it's only five days until my favorite day of the year! The day AFTER Christmas.

Happy Weekend!

No comments: