Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fan/Not a Fan

You know how sometimes you see something and you think, "Well, I like that, but on the other hand, I hate it."

What?

That's just me?

Oh.

Well, I was thinking just the other night about this and decided this could be a fun feature. Let's just be honest and say upfront that I'm sure I'm going to offend someone. We are a very easily offended people these days. So, if I offend you? Let's talk, like for real, and fix it.

In the mean time, my very first fan/not a fan.

Fan: I love when kids start grasping important biblical truths. I love it so much that I have spent a great deal of my life teaching kids things about God. I believe deep down in my bones that children are capable of real, vibrant, saving relationships with God. Even little children.

Not a fan: People who brag about how spiritual their children are on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram.  I get it. It's tempting to do this because as a parent, it's super cool to watch this start to happen in your own children's lives. The thing is, there is just no way to post this on social media without it being a giant boast. "Hey, everybody, look at how amazingly spiritual my kid is. This, by deduction, means I'm rocking it as a parent." See what I mean?

You have no idea how tempted I am when I see this to slap a big #humblebrag right in the comment section. Just because it's about Jesus doesn't mean it's not about your ego, too.

It's fun to brag on our kids. That's what grandmas are for. Or friends who adore your kids like grandmas do.

Otherwise, keep all your kids prayers in the prayer closet. I'd hate to have to slap you with a hashtag!

No comments: