Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Drew and Lyla's Excellent Adventures

Yikes!  I have not taken the time to sit down and write a blog post in a really long time.  We have had a few really amazing weeks.  I've been so thankful for the fabulous behavior, and we have had so much fun, but there really haven't been any antics to report!  Although, in fairness, I guess I should report all the great behavior, too!

I've mentioned the Mom's Club I've joined, and while it's not really like me to join any group that has the words "Mom" or "Club" in it, it has been a really great thing.  I have discovered a lot of new parks and places to take the kids to play.  One of the playgrounds is so close to my house and is covered by a giant tarp that creates shade all over the playground.  How did I not know about this place??  We've been twice in the last month!  Last time we were there, Drew and Lyla were just playing their hearts out.  Another mom was there and her kids were giving her a hard time.  I heard her say, "Look at that mom.  See her just sitting on the bench?  That's what moms are supposed to get to do at the park.  You guys are being high maintenance.  See how her kids are just playing?"  HA!  I almost laughed out loud!  Can you believe anyone was saying that about me??  It was pretty great.  

Last week we went to the Nature Center.  It is also really close to my house, but I've never taken the kids there because I thought they were too little.  Boy was I wrong!  This place is amazing!  There were so many things for them to do and explore.  They loved looking at all the animals.  They got to touch real live animal bones (although, they really had no clue what they were!) and dress up in animal costumes.  Lyla spent the entire time dressed up like a ladybug!  Drew passed on wearing any costume for more than a second.  The playground at this place is really neat.  It is all natural.  They have a little kid sized cabin and a slide that sits right in the side of a big dirt hill.  Talk about a kid's dream!  They scramble up all the dirt and slide down.  It is quite a dirty proposition, and I almost had a heart attack-Lyla was wearing a super cute little pink dress and bloomers!!  I decided to just let her go for it and pay the price later.  Luckily, all the dirt washed right out during nap time.

Drew has been doing so much better with the church nursery and childcare at Mom's Club.  On Sunday, he didn't even cry at church!!  We even stayed both hours and he did not cry during the transition.  I must say I was seriously considering quitting church because it broke my heart to see him so upset.  Cooler heads prevailed, however, (cooler heads being big Dan as always!) and told me to give it some time.  Dan was right.  He just needed to get used to it.  I'm sure we will have more hard days, but I was really thankful for an easy morning.

Oh, and!  I ran my 5K on Saturday.  It was great-I didn't die or come in last place!!  I met my goal of running the whole time-no walking-and I actually ran my best time.  (Which I will not be publishing because it's embarrassing!!)  Sadly, I did not fall in love with running.  But, I think I could be convinced to do another race.  Maybe.

No comments: