Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Um...What??

Ya'll. I'm having the best summer ever. I hesitate to put that out there. I'm sure I'm inviting some sort of wrong something to happen, but I just needed to say it. Because, really, it's come as quite a surprise. There are a myriad of reasons I was not looking forward to this summer, but it has surpassed expectations and we are two weeks in.

We started summer school two weeks ago. As the time drew closer, I was getting more and more anxious. I was a nervous wreck about Moms checking out my house-scrutinizing, if you will-because their kids would be spending the day here. I've covered my complete lack of housekeeping skills. There might have been some panicked cleaning going on. Maybe. It is also nerve wracking to have little people as your "clients". And by little people, I mean kids, not those of short stature. Just thought I would clear that up. Kids are fickle and they are picky and if they don't have fun they might not come back. And that means mama don't get paid. But, the kids who have come through here have been great. We have had a blast. The best news is MY kids have been awesome. Emily totally believes she is four, and troops right along with everyone. Her favorite subject is art. And usually her canvas is her arms. And Drew. That guy, he has been amazing. He has been kind, he shares toys, he takes care of Emily. He has been so go with the flow (which if you know him you know this must be the result of divine inspiration...) and it has been fun to watch. It is pretty amazing that I get paid to be with my own children and watch them play. I am not missing the God in this. It is a HUGE answer to many of my prayers. And fun to boot.

Don't get worried, either, because we are still able to make it to the pool everyday. I have to say I'm rather proud of myself for taking my chickies down there EVERYDAY. We've got our prep down to a science so it doesn't take four hours to get ready anymore. And, TODAY-magic. Drew has been getting more and more brave playing in the water without his floaty on. And, when he has his floaty on, he started wanting me to throw him-which meant he was going under. Yesterday he was holding his head under the water and I was so proud. He was rather proud himself. I was gearing up to try some more swim lessons. Which, is a little feeble considering I don't know much about teaching a kid to swim. Turns out, I don't have to. Drew totally taught himself to swim today. I'm not kidding. He went from hanging on the side of the pool afraid to stretch his legs all the way out four days ago to swimming almost the entire width of the pool. SWIMMING, I SAY. I'm not going to lie. I was obnoxious. I was completely flipping out. He.just.started.swimming.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm surprised. This is Drew's way. And it has been his whole life. It is no mistake that Drew is my child. He is one big, fat life lesson all wrapped up in one little package. Every milestone he has approached, I have been anxious about his being behind. And, for crying out loud, I'm a teacher. It's who I am. So, I try to teach and coach. And then I secretly obsess. But, always, once I back off, it's only a matter of time before he figures it out all on his own. Listen, I'm slow to learn in so many areas. I'm trying on this one. I've done much better lately, and even when the cute mom in the two-piece at the pool said, "Yeah, we just threw our kids in there and made them go at it," I only felt defensive for a few minutes. After all, she was in a two-piece. I kind of wanted to mention that had I ever, at any point, just thrown Drew in the water, he might, just might, have had a seizure. I digress.

All this to say, MY BOY SWIMS! And as a mom there is nothing better than watching your child feel proud of themselves.

No comments: