Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summah Time

You know what trips me up on the blog? The dang pictures! Anytime I have a post that includes pictures it takes me forever to get it up. So, today I just decided to put a photo-less post up and I'll get to all my pictures later. I realize it's not rocket science to upload pictures and put them on here, but I'm lazy and it's a tiny bit of work.

I've been on a little mini vacation. I mean, I didn't go anywhere or anything, but it's been exactly one week since I wrapped things up at school. Last Wednesday was our end of the year school picnic (and you'll be happy to know we did not have to cancel on account of the cicadas...) and we went out to celebrate (pics to come...someday...). Since then we've been having some lazy days with a few fun events thrown in there. (Again, pics...well...you know...)

Today we went back to the pool and let me just say, progress was made. And, I have a feeling you are going to be given a blow-by-blow of our afternoons at the pool. I know you are beside yourselves with excitement. Anyway, today as Emily and I were sitting on the side of the pool splashing our feet and Drew was paddling around with his floaty on, I thought to myself, "You know, I'm kind of glad he wears that floaty, because I don't have to watch him so closely. It could be hard to watch both kids so closely." I'll have you know it was not five minutes later he saunters over and says, "I want to take my floaty off." Really?

So, the duck was shed and I helped him understand he could really touch in the 3 ft. end of the pool. I wish every one of you could have seen the look on his face. He.was.ecstatic. He was super proud of himself and even made up a song called "Don't freak out in the pool." I'm not kidding even a little. About this time, Emily decided she might want in the pool, too. She sat on the top step, actually in the water. I was a touch panicky trying to keep my eyes on everyone. Drew kept wanting me to do "swimming lessons" with him, but refused to do anything I suggested. Not much "lessoning" went on. Although, he did doggy paddle to me a little bit. I'm not gonna lie. I was proud.

Emily, mean time, made friends with another lady at the pool and proceeded to talk her head off. Which consists of saying the same phrase over and over, louder and louder until you understand and repeat it back to her. I can't tell you how much fun it is to do that all day. The lady at the pool was very patient. And then when Emily started doing tricks-"blowing bubbles" which was actually licking the water-she would look up to make sure her new friend was watching. She's a socialite, what can I say?

Tomorrow we start "summer school". I'm a) excited, b) nervous, and c) REALLY concerned about the behavior of my own children. It's going to be interesting. To say the least.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Do you know how much of a gifted writer you are? Um, cause you are! You make me feel like I am in a shared moment with you everytime I read. I laugh because soon I will be in shared parenting moments with you with crusty shirts and lotion on my jeans. What I have always loved about you is that no matter what, you can turn anything into a laugh with your perspective (hm...sometimes sarcasm). YOu are a dear friend and I love you much.