Monday, May 16, 2011

The Cicadas are coming! The Cicadas are coming!




A couple of months ago I was at a preschool planning meeting and we were hashing out all sorts of pertinent details about field days and music programs. During the discussion, the impending cicada invasion was mentioned no less than ten times. I must say, I was intrigued. Turns out I was only vaguely aware of the existence of a cicada, and have never experienced an "invasion" like the one I was hearing about. I heard tale of shoveling left behind nymph skins from driveways, cicadas clinging for life to car tires, to cancelled picnics and all manner of cicada related horrors. Is it sad to say I was a little bit excited to see all the excitement unfold??

Well.

I must say I'm feeling a little let down. I don't know if it's just my part of town, but to be honest I'm rather hard pressed to find a single cicada in my yard. I had imagined plague-like circumstances. Bummer.

I have a feeling most for most folks, the extent of the last invasion has *ahem* grown a little bit in their minds. Maybe the cicadas in my yard are running a tiny bit behind. Maybe the great flood washed them all away last year. (Speaking of...floods? locusts?? Ummm, Nashville???)

Who knows. Maybe in thirteen years the 4 cicadas in my yard will have expanded to 4,000 in my mind...

1 comment:

Heather S. said...

Kelly, I just saw a video that a friend who also lives Nashville posted on FB with absolutely TONS of cicadas! I mean, they literally covered the ground and you could hear the exoskeletons crunching as he walked. Downright disgusting, actually... Better luck next year?!?

Heather S.