Monday, May 23, 2011

Last Day of School

I'm in shock.

Yesterday I wrapped up my first year as a preschool teacher. I seriously cannot believe the year is over. Add to that the fact that I honestly thought we had a whole extra week, and I'm flat perplexed. I don't think any period of time in my life has ever gone by so fast.

I have to say, that while taking a break from the rat race for a bit will be nice, I'm sure going to miss my little class. They have grown and changed and matured so much over the past year. The last few weeks have been so sweet. I've begged them to just stay in the three year old class forever, but since most of them are already four, they're having none of it. They are ready to move on. Most said they will at least wave at me in the hallway, a few said no! Ha! I'm also terribly sad about losing the moms in my class. They are THE BEST. I have had so much fun getting to know them. It has been great being in the same season of life. While I can't offer any sage advice, I can definitely relate on every level. They have been loving and supportive and fun. GREAT way to start, that's for sure.

I will also miss having so much bonus time with Drew at school. His class has been right across the hall and his teacher is a good friend. We've had lunch together bunches of times, go to Spanish and Creative Movement together, and play on the playground together. Next year he'll be all the way down the hall in the oldest classroom. Sniff. I'm so thankful to have had a window into his school life. So special.

We have a work day tomorrow, then a school-wide picnic on Wednesday, and after that there will be no more things I haven't done yet!! HOORAY! I've spent a lot of my time this year pretending like I knew what the heck was going on, when really I had no clue. I will be so happy to at least have some understanding of the way things go.

Our summer is starting to take shape. I will be hosting a little day camp here three days a week for a few kids and I'm really excited about it. I know it will be work, but I will get to be with Drew and Emily and DO WHATEVER I WANT. No government regs to comply with!! Ha! I have lots of fun ideas swirling around in my head. The best part is, most of the kids coming are families from school, so they are sweet and wonderful. I'm sure there will be many anecdotes forth coming about this little adventure.

Otherwise, I plan on making lots of memories and soaking up as much of my kiddos as I can before the school bell rings next fall.

No comments: