Sunday, April 4, 2010

His Choice

His life was not taken from Him. He chose to give it.

"No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father." John 10:18

"So Pilate said to him, "You will not speak to me? Do you not know that I have authority to release you and authority to crucify you?" Jesus answered him, "You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above. Therefore he who delivered me over to you has the greater sin." John 19:10-13

The moment He chose the will of His Father over his own will, Satan was defeated.

"And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done." And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him." Luke 22:41-43

The will of the Father was driven by His overwhelming love for us. Us=me & you.

Jesus' followers were waiting for Him to display his power by attacking his attackers. They watched for him to rise up against their oppressors.

He was not weak in His choice to allow His death. The power was displayed in His decision to stay on the cross. Like now, He saw the bigger picture. The real oppressor was our own sin. One final sacrifice to atone for the sin of all creation.

The story does not end with sacrifice. But with miracle. With glory.

"And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen." Luke 24:5-6

This is the beginning and the ending of Christianity. Sin-->Death-->Sacrifice
-->Life

Christianity has picked up a lot of baggage over the last 1960ish years. Christianity is belief in Christ's death and resurrection and repentace for sin. Nothing more. Nothing less.

"Who is this King of glory?
The LORD, strong and mighty,
the LORD, mighty in battle!" Psalm 24:8

No comments: