Tuesday, August 24, 2010

In The Books

Well. Day 1 is done. My first day back to work in five years and the first time for my kids to be in someone else's care while I worked. It was...kind of nightmarish!!

I really did not expect to be posting bad news about our first day! I really, deep down, suspected that everything would probably be just fine. Oh, ok, it was fine. I mean, everyone survived and there were no true emergencies, but smooth it was not.

I worked long into the night on Sunday getting everything ready to go for Monday morning. I was feeling pretty proud of all of my hard work come daylight on Monday morning, despite the fact that Drew was up before 6:00. And then Drew spilled chocolate milk all over his shirt. You know, the one I laid out the night before? He also knocked Emily down and kicked her in the head (accidentally) with his shoes on. Somehow my minutes were evaporating like I had never experienced. But, we managed to make it in the car on time. I could feel my road rage creeping up as we attempted to get out of Bellevue. (I might not have mentioned this before, but Bellevue, for various reasons I won't go into here, is a complete driving quagmire.) It was about 5 minutes from leaving my house that I realized I had left my work keys at home. Good times.

We managed to be on time, and I finally got the kids' room situated with some toys. This was my responsibility. Not sure why...And then I decided to put Emily down for a nap. So, I fed her some bottle, and laid her down in a strange crib in a strange room. The walls were hung with lots of scary Jesus pictures. It would have been pretty hilarious if, say, I had been watching it on T.V. However, leaving my real, live daughter in there...notsomuch. I took the monitor with me and went back to my meeting. I could feel my emotions lurking right there on the edge. I tried to summon my old working self, who, after working with almost all men, learned to stuff it. When Emily would not go to sleep, I went back in to rock her. I could not deal. My old working self did not have a mommy's heart. She finally settled and I walked back into the room and made my staff meeting debut by blubbering like a complete idiot. It was awesome.

The rest of the day went a little better, but Emily, who is normally everyone's BFF was terrified of everyone. Thank GOODNESS for my sweet Drew. He was so brave and the babysitter said Emily stayed right by his side the whole time. Lump.in.my.throat. It's a good thing the Lord made so clear "this was the way, walk in it" because otherwise I would've grabbed my kids and run out of there like the place was on fire.

It was an emotional day for me. When we got home I felt like I had been hit by a bus! Luckily, I've had some sleep since then, and I'm feeling much more upbeat today. It seems that Emily got into some sort of dairy product, most likely a snack left on the floor and she feels terrible. Today has been better, though, so maybe when we all head back tomorrow, it won't seem so awful. I am thinking about taking some colorful cloth to cover over Scary Jesus, though. No offense, of course.

No comments: