Sunday, January 2, 2011

I Think a Change...Will Do You Good...

Well, the halls are officially undecked. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when Drew realized that I was subtly removing decorations a little at a time. Every item being removed was met with a mournful "Oh no! Not the _______!" Mind you, it could have been an item he failed to notice for the entire holiday season, but it was SO SAD to take it down. In fact, the Little People Nativity set is still lying on the couch because I could not deal with the drama. Which, lucky thing we kept it out. He spent last night sending baby Jesus down the slide over and over and over.

The kid does not deal well with change.

I got my hair cut last week. It's been on my to-do list since AUGUST so I finally just made it happen. I got a lot of hair cut off. A lot. When she was finished it looked like a medium sized animal lying on the floor. With severe split ends. I told my stylist (yes, I said stylist. Big shout out of Melissa at Bishop's Salon. She cuts some freakin' good hair) to have at it. They love it when you tell them that, you know. And then I went and got crazy. As she was cutting I said, "Do you think I should have some bangs?" She said, "Ok!" And I said, "Wait a minute, I'm ASKING you." She was all for cutting a bang. (Did you know they are no longer referred to as "bangs" rather "a bang"? Me neither. Duly noted.) I was thrilled. But I laughed, saying, "My son is not going to be excited about this." I knew when he saw me sans ponytail he would flip out. And he did. Because he has such a huge heart he came back later and said, "I decided I like your new hair mom. You look pretty." I'm not sure he really feels that way, but somehow he knew that was the right thing to say. Bless him. And then I went and fixed it wavy today. He looked at me with a look of horror on his face and said, I kid you not, "I need to go to my room and be alone." Bahahahaha!! He emerged a while later, feeling better about the whole matter. On the way home from church he finally came around. "I do like your curly hair after all, Mommy."

Poor kid. Life is full of changes. It's taken me 34 years to learn that I need to be ok with it. Rest easy. Take a breath. Notice I said I've learned I need to. Not that I am doing it well. I hope I can learn it, so I can pass it along. Life is lots more fun when a new haircut doesn't send you into a depression.

No comments: