Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Break in the Clouds

Yesterday it was 50 degrees! And the sun was out! THE ACTUAL, REAL LIVE SUN!

It was a happy day in the land of Hull. When I said to Drew, "Let's go play outside. It's warm." He replied, "It's WARM???" I know son, I know. Only one more day of January, the most dreadful month of the year, and we're on to February. February wins a prize, because although a winter month, it's short. And then maybe winter will go away for good. Ok fine. At least until next year after I've been complaining all summer about how IT'S SO HOT.

My state of cabin fever has hit an all time high. It dawned on me the other night when I said, "Oh, I'm so excited! This is my favorite episode of The Backyardigans!" And I meant it. (Polka Palace Party, if you must know...) Something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

I know the kids are feeling it, too. Not just my kids at home, but the kids at school. There is definitely an undercurrent of ALL THE CRAZY that just might explode any minute.

Emily is definitely in on the act. Girlfriend is in a mood today. I had a big fantasy of getting some actual housecleaning accomplished this morning. We skipped church because I have what I'm pretty sure is a raging sinus infection and I'm waiting for the right side of my face to split in half. Nobody wants to have to clean that up at church. So, as I was saying, I was going to tackle my house and wrestle it into some sort of shape. Only my kids had other big plans. Drew wanted to watch "Beauty and the Beast" on the VCR. Yes, we still have a VCR and VHS tapes. He wanted me to watch too. DESPERATELY. Emily was attached to my leg like a giant barnacle, so I gave in and sat in the playroom floor and watched. Drew's favorite part was when the Beast fought off all the wolves. He exclaimed, "He's like a superhero!" I guess you see what you want to see!

In the meantime, Emily was furious and needed us both to know it. She screamed and thrashed and THREW TOYS. Like, in a fit of rage threw toys. A.palling. She got in big time trouble, and then of course was heartbroken and needed to sob about that. Hit the repeat button on that about 1600 times and you'll have a good glimpse of the Lord's Day here.

Emily is starting to put together two words, which is pretty great. She says, "Up please" and "I do"-which she got straight from Van, and "I stuck" and "I bonk" anytime she falls or hits her head, which by the way, is A LOT. Today she added "I bite" to the list. Yep. She kept trying to bite me and I would say, "Emily, no bite!" And she would laugh and say, "I bite!" Is anyone out there afraid for me yet??? Annnnd, if "I bite" is not devilish enough, she's already started hugging things to her and saying, "Mine!"

You do realize she's nowhere near 2 yet, right? I.am.in.for.it.

No comments: