Wednesday, January 12, 2011

All the Fun

**Edited to add: Yeah, so I wrote the post a couple of weeks ago. Just in case you wondered how it was that you completely missed out on some snow!

I have to say I'm a little bit conflicted about bragging about another snow day. Only because when I talked to my sister yesterday she'd had about all the snow fun she could take. She told me she was praying school would be in. I told her in honesty and openness that I was praying a prayer in direct opposition to hers. Hmmmm...I guess we would have to see who God loves best. I'M TOTALLY KIDDING!!!!!!! I kept hoping that since she lives in another city we could both have our wishes.

It was a wait of epic proportions. Yesterday, late afternoon, I got an email from my director asking us all to report in about road conditions in our neighborhoods. Wait. What??? Metro had already closed schools. That's our policy. Surely, we aren't going to break policy??? I groaned. All I could figure was that some desperate mom with cabin fever was putting on the pressure. I guess those moms exist. I can't imagine ever calling up a PRESCHOOL and demanding they open their doors. And, of course, it's possible that didn't even happen. I do know there was a lot of angst about WHAT IF WE HAVE TO RESCHEDULE SCHOOL PICTURES?? I'm mocking. Not nice, I know. So, around 8 p.m. last night I got the email informing me that we would be open today and that I needed to contact all of my parents to let them know...and figure out clothes for the kids...and pack lunches...and gather materials...

To say that I was not walking with a Christ-like attitude would be a gigantic understatement. And I knew I wasn't the only disgruntled employee.

This morning I dragged out of bed before dawn and proceeded to do all the things I neglected to do the night before. And then the kids were up, and breakfast was going, and lunches were being packed. And the phone rang. Oh, well, let me back up to say that the road in front of my house was super icy and I completely stalked the neighbor as he was leaving for work to see if he would careen off the road into someone's yard. He didn't. So, the phone rang and it was the director. Guess what?? School is back OFF. Repeat: no school. Which was great except for now I have to call all the parents in my class in the middle of breakfast, toddler meltdown, preschooler neediness. Don't tell anyone, but I texted instead. I know. I live on the edge.

Another snow day. Another day PAID to be home with my babies. Thank you. Thank you very much.

And just because I'm attempting to make this the longest post ever, I'll tell you that yesterday Drew and I had THE MOST FUN sledding. I LOVE to go sledding. It's on my top 10 most fun things to do list. You might remember last year when we had to sled on a cookie sheet. But, my late winter purchase of the green disc paid large dividends yesterday. Drew was totally fearless. Fearless, I tell you, and belly laughed his way down the hill over and over and over. He didn't even whine about having to climb back up the hill. Or having cold hands. Or anything else. Emily and I shared the sled on our turns. Let me just say that I'm pretty sure I've found a roller coaster riding buddy. She LOVED it. And at the risk of sounding like a gigantic sap, I have to say that I was having to hold back some tears. Moments like those, seeing your kids blissful, well, to me there is just about nothing better.

No comments: