Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Outrage (and an update)

Today I finished reading a book I have been working on for a year. Ok, not really. I did start reading the book last January when Daniel and I were in the Dominican. Remember? I scarfed up all three of my books and was ready to steal his when just like that, the first 19 chapters fell out of his book. The book is called "Winds of War" by Herman Wouk and it is, seriously, a great book. But, it is dense. It tells the story of an American military family during the events leading up to the entry of the U.S. into World War 2. (I feel like I should have written World War II. Are you supposed to roman numeral the World Wars?) It is 896 pages long. And interspersed throughout the book is a lot of war analysis. Believe it or not, I'm not super savvy in the subjects of 1) world history, or 2) military ops.

So. As I was saying. I finished the book today only to discover that it is the first in a set. THERE IS ANOTHER BOOK!!! It is 1026 pages long and there is NO WAY I can not read this book. I'm invested, dang it. I have to know what happens to Pug, and especially to Natalie and her baby. Seriously. And now I know what I'm getting myself into. I'm going to have to read some quicker books first. Or else these two may be the only books I read this year!!!

As for the rest of my resolutions, they are coming along at about a B- pace. I'm not quite as proud of myself as President Obama. I have worn a lot of dresses. I still keep forgetting to wear lipstick. Of course, with Emily having a cold for two weeks I was barely getting the hair in a ponytail.

I have cooked some new recipes. One was particularly good and very easy. It was basically just boneless/skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat and stuffed with frozen spinach artichoke dip (still frozen) and baked. It was delicious, especially if you like spinach artichoke dip. Extra bonus points for getting my son to eat spinach! I also had a "thrown together from junk I had" chicken parmesean dish that went over great. The whole couponing madness sets you up well for having random items on hand and being able to throw them together in a pinch. A pinch being getting all the ingredients out to make pork chops and realizing your chops are bad. Stupid chops. We were in a race all week. I lost.

I've been keeping up with my "read through the Bible in a year" pretty well. It's tough because you cover a lot of ground in just one day. As I've mentioned I'm a ruminator. But, at this stage of my life I don't have seven hours in a day to study maps and original languages and cross references. So, I'm just happy to get three chapters read.

After the big snow last week I was feeling pretty good about the way I've handled this winter. And then, two days ago it started snowing again. I threw up a little in my mouth. I am officially over it. Which, making it all the way to February 10th before having my "Winter, I hate you" meltdown is progress.

I'm thinking of investing in a sun lamp.

No comments: