Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sled? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Sled!




Well. You're welcome.

For the Blizzard of 2010, I mean. I'm pretty sure it was this statement: "Spring is coming. I can smell it" that set off the freak set of circumstances resulting in near 10 inches of snow. In Nashville. Where snow never accumulates. Again, you're welcome.

You should have seen my snide smile when I woke up on Friday morning. School had already been cancelled and once again it was dry as a bone. I had visions of the dusting we had only a few weeks before. You know when my son could barely scrape together a snowball and making a snow angel got mud on his clothes? I wasn't even alarmed when it started snowing big beautiful flakes at 9:30 on Friday morning. However, when it was still snowing at 11 p.m. after I fed the baby and was headed to bed, I was shocked!

The next day we awoke to a flat TON of snow. I.was.so.excited!!! I must say that some of my favorite childhood memories are snow memories. My parents were fun. Have I ever mentioned that? Like, sometimes, hilariously fun. Combining that with the fact that I'm still 10 on the inside, making some fabulous snow memories was tops on my list. Sadly, the first day did not go according to my imaginings. First, Big Dan's computer crashed. No big surprise there, as it is in our house. His top priority was getting a new computer. Second, we had a birthday party to attend. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but there was SNOW!! So, Drew and I did not get to venture out until after his nap time. Also known as the "crabby hours." Really, he might as well just stay in bed until bedtime.

So, we bundled up (my spirits were buoyed by the fact that my ski bibs still fit. Haven't had them on in a good 10 years...) and headed out. Drew's number one wish was to make a snow man. It was tough that first day because the snow was really powdery and it was hidden under a layer of ice. But, dang it, if he wanted a snowman, I was gonna work to get him a snowman. He lost patience after around 5 minutes and insisted we start decorating. So, without further adieu, I give you, Mr. Snow Lump:



Yep. All we got was a small mound on the ground. But Drew was sure proud of it!!


After that, Drew was done in. It was too cold to play in the snow. He would come back out when it was warmer. Yeah. Bad news about that...

Day 2 of the blizzard proved to be the big winner. I got out with Drew before nap time and we had a blast. We traipsed around in the woods and walked down to the creek. It was particularly fun to chuck big chunks of ice in the creek. Apparently. Then we ventured over to our little neighborhood playground. I suggested we run up the hill and swing together on the porch swing. When we got to the top of the hill, Drew looked at me and said, "Let's roll down the hill!" So, we did! I'm pretty sure I was quite a site rolling down that hill as a grown woman, but man was it fun! We were laughing so hard we could barely breathe. I think Drew was shocked that I actually did it. I did have to close my eyes. My equilibrium ain't what it used to be and I was feeling a little woozy. We trekked back home and Drew headed to sleep.

In the meantime, I could not let it go. I wanted to sled so dang bad and there was not a sled in town to be had. Trust me. I checked. But I was a woman obsessed. Hell bent, you might say. So, after nap, I loaded up Drew, a laundry basket, a yoga mat, and a cookie sheet, and back to the hill we went. The clear winner was the cookie sheet!



And, yep, Mama got on that cookie sheet a time or two herself and flew down the hill. Pretty sure I almost broke a hip, but it was well worth it. Drew was a wild animal. All his inhibition flew out the window and he catapulted himself down that hill over and over.

In honor of our redneck sledding adventure, I let Drew help me drive home a la Britney Spears.

2 comments:

jon. said...

this makes me a little nervous for our theme park roller coaster extravaganza. what if i can't ride them anymore?

khull05 said...

All we have to do is close our eyes!!!!! And not eat funnel cake BEFORE we ride.