Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Faster, Faster, Faster!

Shew. Ya'll. I'm writing this post with one eye open. I am tired. Or as we like to say in Appalachia-TARD! Pooped, if you will. (Which by the way, is the word Drew likes to say so he can use a potty word without getting in trouble. Bathroom talk? Killing.me.)

Today was our final day in classrooms before our little ones come to visit. And before I start full-fledged whining, let me just say that compared to last year, I'm doing amazing! This time last year, Katy and I were in the throes of an almost all-nighter to get my room ready. I know she is relieved that I'm a little more with it this year. I have moved some of my centers around, and added some new pictures and, I don't know, for some reason I'm just feeling more at home in my classroom. More settled in. I have a clue about what might work and what might not, you know? It's a good feeling.

It's still A LOT of work. I've been up to my elbows in glue sticks, and duct tape and sharpies and clear tape. Have mercy, the clear tape!! It doesn't seem like it should be so much work, but it is. Today when one of my co-teachers and I were using her husband's drill to make holes in the cement wall we just looked at each other and started laughing. There are some things they don't tell you when you sign up to be a preschool teacher!

Speaking of things they don't tell you...if you have a weak stomach you might want to turn away...I have a bug infestation in my room. And it turns out it originated in my rice bin. Yummy, huh?? In case you're not aware, preschoolers love to play in rice. At the end of the year I asked, I ASKED, people about keeping the rice and they all said they kept it. Naturally mine turns up infected spreading tiny black bug madness all over the school.

The bug lady came out today and she was a DOOZY. A talker, that one, and by the time she left I was exhausted. And freaking annoyed that I was the cause of the issue. I make a ton of dumb mistakes at work. I.hate.messing.up. I only felt better later when one of my friends realized she accidentally donated 3 area rugs to Goodwill! Oops! Live and learn. And throw away the rice!!!

My kids have been AWESOME for the last two weeks. They have headed back to school without missing a beat. And you should see Emily. She troops along with the other kids like she is four herself. She has not cried for me one single time. And remember the scary Jesus nap room?? She loves it. She calls that scary, gaunt, effeminate Jesus, "My Jesus." Which, to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it has to better than scared, right?? I'd say compared to where we were a year ago, we've all done some growing up over the last year. With Momma having the most growing to do...

It has been weird seeing new names around my table and in the hall. I've spent the summer trying to untangle my heart from my 8 little nuggets from last year. My heart is all about the relationship. And I knew those kids like the back of my hand. And I loved them and I loved their mommas. So, I'm excited for tomorrow. I'm excited to meet the new little crew God is sending my way, and I'm more than ready to get this year going!

Let's just hope they don't notice all the bugs...

No comments: