Saturday, November 3, 2012

The One Supposed to be Titled "Boo!"

I was so excited.

I snapped some great pictures of the kids cleaning out our pumpkin.  I got some great shots of them in their costumes.  I even had a few pictures of them trick or treating.

I was going to write a witty post about how I waited until the.last.minute. to do all things Halloween related.  About how we almost didn't have a pumpkin to carve and how we almost didn't get it done in time.

And then I was going to wrap up with what a wonderful night it turned out to be.  How my kids were awesome and hilarious trick or treaters.  How they had no problem dumping all the candy into a communal treat box and how they encouraged me to eat some, too!

It was going to be amazing.

And then.

I washed my iphone in the washing machine. My iphone is where all my pictures are because my camera got lost.  I had been putting off downloading the pictures onto my computer.  Too bad about that because now my iphone is sitting on my counter in a bag of rice.  I'm telling you, I would put anointing oil on it and try out speaking in tongues if I thought it would help revive my phone.

I thought I was going to throw up.  And I may or may not have thrown a giant tantrum in my car on the way to the store to get rice.  In the middle of a thunderstorm.  It was not a proud moment.

It's kind of been one of those weeks, you know?  The kind that ends with a bang when you somehow manage to load your phone in the washer with the laundry.  I did not want to find things to be thankful for like you're supposed to do when things start going wrong.  I didn't want to count my blessings, dang it.  I wanted to scream and spew and stomp my feet.

And then, I found a little note tucked away in a pile of paper in my kitchen.  In tiny kindergarten writing were the words "I love mom!"  Did you notice the exclamation mark?  Because I did.

Perspective.  And without even meaning to, I started naming things I am thankful for.  Counting my blessings, one by one.  Slowly but surely, I was able to take baby steps back from the ledge.

I was ready to get my blog cranked back up again.  I was going to start with a fun little Halloween post.  You probably know by now that I can't really outrun the "real", you know?  So, my phone is in a bag of rice on my counter, but I have two healthy babies asleep in their ample beds upstairs.  They are warm.  They are fed.  They are kind and hilarious and beautiful.  I have a hard working husband upstairs in my ample bed.  And although I do exasperating things like put my phone in the spin cycle, he's here.  I have a God who takes all of my mistakes and uses them to teach.

I have that little note from my sweet boy taped to the top of my computer.  Just so I remember.

Besides, it's not like I love to talk on the phone anyway...

No comments: