Thursday, April 23, 2009

Bunco

Did you know that we have lived in Nashville for almost 4 years??!! Crazy. It does not seem like it at all. We have lived in this house longer than our house on Carbury (that we still talk about all the time!) It's been a pretty weird transition, all in all.

When we first moved here, I knew I was going to have to work really hard to meet people. I am rabidly introverted. I think I might have borderline social anxiety disorder. I can go for a week or two and not really talk to anyone and not think twice about it. I'm a weirdo. I know it. And so, I knew I was going to have to push myself out of my handy little hiding hole. Of course, attending many firm events early on pushed me right out there on a limb. Luckily, there was usually free booze involved.

So. When I got a flyer in my mailbox shortly after moving here about a Bunco group getting together in my neighborhood, I felt like I should go. Note that I didn't think "Yay, what a great way to meet people". It was more like a character building exercise. And naturally I looked up Bunco on the internet because I had no idea what it was. I certainly couldn't walk blindly into some sort of game situation that's main purpose was socializing. So I went. And I'm really glad I did. I met many neighbors and have some good friends that I met that very first night.

Over the years, the group has changed and shifted. Just recently we decided to shake things up and play other games besides just Bunco. Which was fine with me because I am a dismal Bunco player. "What?" you say, "how can you be dismal at a game of chance?" Exactly why I'm glad we're moving on. I've won the prize for low score more times than I care to count. So I support the change.

Until tonight, that is. Tonight I arrive to Bunco with dip and crackers in hand, ready for a relaxing night after a long day. The hostess told us we were going to play the game Catch Phrase. Great. I'm good at these kind of games. Then she added a catch. Whoever lost the round had to do a KARAOKE song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What in the holy world would ever possess you to make a room full of acquaintances do this???????

I'm not going to lie. This is like my worst nightmare come true. Most everyone there was horrified. Except for the hostess herself who loves to sing and has recorded an album. Hmmmm. Let's make everyone look like a total boob while I put on a show. Good times, good times. I felt most sorry for the new lady. She had never met ANY of us before. Did I mention nightmare? There was a time when I would have flat out refused to participate. But, I've grown, you see. So I played along. It was not fun. And I'm not even sure there was any character building going on.

Mercifully the night did come to an end. I grabbed up my dip and crackers (um, what else am I going to eat tomorrow??) and ran out the door, leaving my living nightmare in the dust.

No comments: