Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Potty "Learning" Day One

I'm getting behind on things I need to post about. It's the pesky camera again. The memory card is full and I have heavily technical work to do before I can post more pictures. (Do you really believe that I am going to do anything "heavily technical"??)

Anyway, I'm sure none of you really cares for the play by play of Drew's, um, "output", shall we say, but I need to write this down so I can look back and remember when we started, how it went, etc. Lord only knows how long this journey is going to take, so I need to be keeping up with how things are going. The ol' memory is not what it once was, you know.

Yesterday, Drew got up and announced that he wanted to wear "underwears". Um, ok? Several weeks ago I ordered a few books about using the potty and I have been reading with them with Drew fairly regularly-at least once a day. All I can figure is that he has been thinking about it and decided he was ready to try.

Now, I have had a little bit of experience with this, with Lyla. I'm a TERRIBLE potty trainer (which, did you know "they" are now calling it "potty learning" now instead of "potty training"?? Apparently, "potty training" is too mean. ) Lyla does not really like to use the potty at my house. Who can blame her, though? Who would want to go potty with another 2 year old staring you down the whole time?? She is doing great, these days, especially at home, which is good for me to see. It does eventually click!

I was not in a hurry to start this process, really. I have no "deadline" in my mind, but who can argue with "I want to wear underwears"?? He had a really good day yesterday. He had a few accidents, of course, but a) he did not freak out when he did, b) he does not like to be wet and c) they all happened on the hard wood floor! By the afternoon, he had it down pat (with very frequent potty breaks) and kept his undies dry until bed time. He still does not recognize the coming of pee quickly enough yet, but I don't think it will be long until he does. Maybe. Most people are not very encouraging about the whole process (which should tell you just how traumatic it is! Ha!) but I'm staying positive.

My instinct was to wait until Lyla was home with Katy full-time (have I mentioned my new nephew is coming in 9 more days at the most???). My instinct was right. This morning was a train-wreck. We're on hiatus until we have some more days with just us.

Finally, you have to know there are MANY hilarious conversations that come about during this process. You can be sure we have talked about YOU and the fact that YOU poop on the potty. Don't be alarmed if Drew asks you about it the next time he sees you!

No comments: