Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Farmer in the Dell

I have this fantasy that I would love to live on a farm. Emphasis on the fantasy. Because, just to recap, I don't get up before the 7's most days and I'm pretty sure living and working on a farm would require me to get up REALLY early. I know there are people out there who really think getting up at the crack of dawn is virtuous. I don't happen to agree. I think sleeping as much as possible is very virtuous-especially since it makes me a nicer person! I'm not lazy, I just require large amounts of sleep. I've always been that way. Just ask my mom. You like that I threw in the "just ask my mom"? Defensive much???

Anyway, back to the point. I have this issue where I tend to think you have to do something all or nothing. On our vacation this year I read this book about a lady and her family who lived only on what they farmed or could buy from their neighbors. Doesn't that sound quaint and fabulous? I thought so, too. And then I got all discouraged, because frankly, I can barely keep up with the laundry, much less find the time to raise and breed turkeys. So I just scrapped the whole idea of gardening all together. I mean, if I can't have a big, magnificent garden, then what's the point?? It's a sickness, really. And then, I started reading all these articles about container gardening, and I got excited again. So, I just jumped in. Drew and I are going to try to grow some vegetables this summer!

One of the great things about spending all your time with a 2 1/2 year old is that they can pretty much be convinced that any idea is a good one. So, off we trotted to Home Depot. I knew I wanted to try tomatoes and cucumbers since these are two of our favorites and veggies that all of us will eat. I let Drew choose his own seeds. He chose the Veggie Tales brand of carrot seeds (one of his favorites). Will you pause and say a prayer for the carrots with me? Carrots are not an ideal container veggie. We're probably going to need some serious divine intervention. I just figure if we can get a couple of carrots-even if they are runty, he will be excited, right?? And, yes, I know that if we don't get any it could be a really good character building exercise for Drew, but life is full of these. We don't need this to be one! Ok, so pray for our carrots!!!

I am clueless about this whole thing, but I am a person who learns by doing. So I'm doing, even though there is a VERY good chance I'm going to fail. You know I'll be keeping you posted.





No comments: