Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lawn wars

I have a hate/hate relationship with our grass. I really shouldn't even call it a "lawn" because it's not. It's some spotty grass mixed with some dead grass mixed with some hard packed dirt. When we first moved into the house Daniel aerated and seeded the yard to no avail. So, figuring it should be left to the professionals, he hired a company to come out last fall and aerate and seed again. Still no grass. We have been round and round with this company over some other issues. Daniel had no problem calling them to let them know-strongly-that there was no grass. So, they came back out. And I am not kidding when I tell you that basically they just spread some seed out on the hard ground and gave me a lecture about how we needed to stay off the "lawn" and keep it watered.

Seriously. We all know you don't just lay seed down on the hard dirt. IT'S IN THE BIBLE!!

"Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root." Mt. 13:5-6

Geez. And definitely don't lecture me while I'm trying to unload groceries from the car. Needless to say, our bare patch is still bare even after the complete soaking we've had for the past month. Hmmmm. So it's not the watering issue after all??? I'm shocked. During this time, we were supposed to let the grass grow for 3 weeks. No mowing. Take a moment, close your eyes and imagine what the "lawn" looked like after 3 weeks of rain and no mowing. Yeah. We got a notice from our Home Owner's Association. Good, good.

And, to add insult to injury, I spent two whole afternoons pulling up new grass from our flower bed. Hmph. Apparently we can't grow grass in the yard, but it will grow like the dickens in the flower bed. I think we need a soil transplant.

No comments: