Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Summer Adventures of Mom and Drew-Vol. 1

I realized today that I don't think I've mentioned on the blog that I am expecting! I think most anyone who would ever wander by here knows that already, and if for some weird reason you don't, then I'm sorry for breaking my promise-you did find out I'm pregnant on my blog. (It's a GIRL, by the way, more on that later...) So, in around 20 weeks, I will be the mother of two.

But, for this summer, I'm the mom of one. The mom of one fabulous boy, who no longer needs his diaper changed!! And I am planning to make the most of every day we have together, just he and I. And, I would like to take this moment to say that, yes, I know how blessed I am to be able to stay home with him everyday. Big shout out to Dan for all of his toil and trouble that gives me that chance. This will also be great documentation for the day Drew complains about me being a rotten mom, because we all know he won't remember being an only child!

Today we went to the zoo. The weather here has been awesome all week long and today was no exception. As we set off this morning, I was so excited. I felt a little like we were going on a vacation-not sure why, and it's kind of sad! Drew was amazing the whole time. He walked the whole way and barely fussed at all. Well, except for the whole carousel incident. Yeah, I almost passed out on the carousel today. Yikes! Now, to be fair I've never actually passed out before. But, as we whirred around (riding a tiger, by the way) I started feeling a little weird. And then, the music started sounding all wonky, like I was in a tunnel. And everything started to get a little gray. I was literally BEGGING God just to let me hang on until the dang thing came to a stop, because all I could think about was that if I passed out, Drew would fall off the Tiger. Not to mention that he would COMPLETELY freak out. I think the adrenaline from thinking about him kept me from going down. Usually, when a carousel ride is coming to a close, I give a really good warning that it's going to be over, etc., etc. Since I couldn't really get any words to come out, I just grabbed Drew up and headed for the exit. He completely flipped out and proceeded to throw a fit. I just hauled booty over to the closest chair and sat down. Whew. Close one. Little did he know!! After a bottle of water and sitting for a spell I felt much better.

Luckily, I have the kind of kid who likes to sit and watch an animal show, so I got to sit down in the shade for almost 45 minutes. Good show, too, by the way. Drew loved it! We had the best time and completely wore ourselves out. I'm a little discouraged that I'm already such an invalid. Especially considering it's going to be much hotter later in the summer. Many more trips to the zoo and I'm going to have to get a Jazzy!

No comments: