Wednesday, May 13, 2009

First Blood

Yesterday, late in the afternoon, we had our first blood drawing accident of the season. Drew was sitting in his little wheelbarrow while I was weeding the front flower bed (more on this saga later...) It was one of those time when I looked at him and thought, "That's probably not a great idea", but just let him keep on because he thought it was so funny! Sure enough he tumbled backwards out of the wheelbarrow and cracked his head on the driveway. I ran over to him and picked him up and realized there was a large amount of blood running down his neck. Greeeaaattt. I had just a fleeting moment of panic where I thought about tossing him into the car and driving straight for the ER, but luckily it passed, because they would've laughed at me.

I had to force him to sit in my lap-holding him down-so I could get a good look. It was a very small cut, and then I remembered all about how vascular the head is and how much cuts to the head bleed. You like that I tossed out the word "vascular", don't you? I thought about when Daniel had his horrible wreck and when I saw him with blood all down his shirt, but it was less worse than it looked. (Don't know that story? Stay tuned. I'm thinking of doing some retro posts-Daniel and I have a very entertaining life!)

So, I did what I could to rinse it out by myself and waited for Daniel to get home. We have to do our most serious medical procedures as a team (removing splinters, etc.) While I was getting dinner ready, Drew and Daniel went for a walk. While they were gone, Drew bit the dust again and came home with giant scrapes on his knees. Sigh. It's going to be a long summer...

No comments: