Friday, July 23, 2010

3.5

This boy-









-makes my heart squeeze and tears well up in my eyes. And not because his behavior is bad! (Today!) I've been emotional lately about my Drew. I'm not sure what it's all about, but it probably has something to do with putting together his photo book from his 2 year old year. I'm a tad behind. Whatever.

At three and a half Drew is so totally different than when he was just 3. It is unbelievable how much he has changed. And when I think about him a year ago...

Here are some of my favorite things about Drew:

*He is, seriously, a fantastic big brother. I know I keep saying this on the blog, but I think I'm just a little taken aback at just how much he loves Emily. He has not resented her for one second, and although I know there are times that having a baby around makes things hard, he never says anything negative about her. Sometimes he even asks if he can play with her in the playroom. He love, loves to make her laugh and knows how to help when she is crying. And he's already protective of her. I'm praying every day that they will always love each other deeply.

*He is OBSESSED with super heroes. It all started with some hand-me-down pajamas that came with capes. He had to know EVERYTHING about the super heroes. He has decided that Super Man is his ultimate favorite, and I must say I'm thrilled with his choice. Daniel bought him a multi-pack with all four original Super Man movies. You know, with Christopher Reeve? He LOVES them. And, it made me remember how much I love Christopher Reeve. (And then we saw him on Sesame Street post accident and I had to answer the question "Mommy, what happened to Super Man?" Sad. We didn't get to the rest of the story...) He has traded in singing "Bushel and a Peck" at bedtime to insisting I sing the theme music to Super Man. I do quite a mean movie score.

*He loves to talk like a grown-up. If Daniel and I are talking, discussing the day, he will make up stories about his own day. Saying things like "This guy at my work..." Seriously. Hilarious.

*He definitely has the gift of encouragement. He really does look for something nice to say about everyone. He is great to compliment me, Daniel or Emily. He says sweet things about Aunt Katy and Lyla and remembers things about his friends and thinks of them when he sees something he knows they would like.

*He is working so hard to not be shy when he's in public. It is still his first instinct to hide his face, but he is doing much better about speaking to those who speak to him. Some days, he smiles and waves at everyone he passes. Last weekend he was with Granna at Target and marched right up to the sales person and asked if they had Super Man boots "in just his size".

*He is learning to be so independent. We are working on some skills this summer to get us ready for the school year. He is also such a great helper. We make his bed together and he is in charge of giving the dog some water (and putting the bowl up when Emily is crawling around!)

*He tells me he loves me around 100 times a day. At home, in the car, at the store. In the middle of doing all sorts of fun boy activities, he will stop to say "I love you." Oh. My heart.

Drew is so earnest. Most days he works really hard to make good choices. There are those times, of course, when, like all of us, he just can't help but be a stinker. But his heart is soft and he is so teachable.

I love him more and more every single minute.

No comments: