Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Works for Me Wednesday-Witching Hour Play Date

Can you believe it?? I'm doing a "Works for Me Wednesday" post. It's been ages. I guess I just haven't felt all that tip-tacular of late. There are more super tips over at We Are That Family. Go. See. I'll wait...

My tip today is not something I thought up. It just kind of...happened. And boy, am I glad it did! Have you ever heard that the late afternoon/evening hours are called "The Witching Hours"? I think this is because mothers turn into witches at this time of day. Or is it because the kids do? Probably both. It is definitely not the most fun I've ever had. I've heard some people call this time of day the "Aresenic Hours" As in, slip me some so I can make a quick exit. Whew. Now that is a bad day.

Play dates (can someone please tell me when we started calling hanging out with other moms "play dates"? Don't get me wrong-I've embraced the term. I'm just pretty sure I never called a rowdy game of hide and seek in the back yard a "play date") usually take place in the morning. I am assuming this is because children are usually at their best this time of day. And nobody wants the obnoxious kid at the play date. Not that I would know anything about that...

But, my neighbor, Lana and I have stumbled upon what might be the largest miracle of motherhood anyone has ever discovered. I'm not exactly sure how it started, but I think it happened around the time that Emily was tiny and screamed her little lungs out everyday starting at around 5:00 p.m. Lana graciously said one time, "Just come over and I'll hold Emily". Lana is a real live baby whisperer. So, we would go. I would hand over Princess Screams A lot, Drew and her son would play, and I would sit, slightly comatose on the couch. As time passed and Emily got better, we figured out these times were perfect for us. Both of our husbands, bless them, work their heads off, and are often home late. It's not their faults, but it does leave us alone for these horrid hours. Alone, until we started hanging out together!

Now our withching hour play dates usually involve one of us cooking dinner (which means the other is off the hook!) and lots of mommy time while the boys play. Sometimes with each other, sometimes not. We don't really care to be honest. And it always seems to work out that if one of us is in need of some coma time, the other is up for entertaining. Beautiful magic is what it is.

Moms need other moms. Sometimes it's just nice to have someone to talk to while you do the dishes or clean up the family room for the 105th time that day. Sometimes your kid acts better when another mom is around! Sometimes you have a few things to get off your chest, dang it.

Be warned. This is not a play date to plan with your judgmental friends. Ha! Kids are devils this time of the day. Find another friend who will look at them and roll their eyes and stroll back to the kitchen to hang out with you. Two is better than one.


Drew with his partner in crime:

1 comment:

Lana said...

I'm so glad we have each other!!! I'm game allllllllllll week! ;)