Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Work

So. I got a job.

Weird, I know.

I wasn't really looking for a job. And I don't say that lightly because I know there are many, many people who only wish a job would fall right into their laps. But, I wasn't really looking.

I love being a stay-at-home mom. I never really knew how much I had always wanted to do it. It isn't a career I ever really felt comfortable striving for because then you have to be a husband-hunter. Instead, I've just tried to follow the Lord each time he's said "C'mon!" You might not know this, but the Lord speaks "southern" to me. When we left Knoxville, I was tired and used up from a job that brought out both the best and worst in me. I made lots of mistakes, but I meant well, and most days I really did work at it with all my heart. And after that season, I needed a break.

Let me back up. Little known fact about me is that when I was 17 years old I got "the call". If you're not a dyed-in-the-wool Baptist, you might not know about "the call", but to sum up it usually involves pursuing some sort of full-time ministry job. When I was 17 the only suitable ministry job for a woman (by Baptist standards-which is all I knew) was being a missionary. So, I thought I might be that. I got to college, and through lots of great opportunities and great people I learned a lot about my "call". I had the priviledge of attending a small, Christian school where I knew the professors in my major fairly personally. One of those wise souls counseled me that "call" didn't necessarily mean the same thing for the rest of my life. It could, but it didn't have to. And, then, lo and behold, I found out that God was working in all sorts of churches, not just the Baptist one. Bless my heart. God and I had a heart to heart and I knew that I would never be a "same thing for the rest of my life" gal. I would need to listen very carefully to what He had to say and when He said, "C'mon", then I would go.

Just by following along I have had some of THE most amazing experiences of my entire life. You'd never believe some of the things I've seen and done in my 30+ (groan) years. I'm trying to remind myself of that right now. Because, He's saying it again. "C'mon!"

I don't really get into the detail of our lives on this old thing. I don't really think it's healthy to hash the intricacies of marriage and family here, but I have mentioned before that the past year has been kind of hard. Our financial picture changed, and while I have continued to stay home, and we have been fine, Big Dan and I wondered if maybe I should think about making some cold, hard cash. I considered the work from home option, but it turns out you have to have actual "skills" for something like that. The more we talked, and my anxiety rose up again and again, the more we decided we would leave it up to God (you think??) I wouldn't pursue work, but if something came up, we would pray about it.

It came up. One day my sister called and said, "Hey, there's a 3 year old teaching position open at Lyla's school. I'll send you their email address if you're interested." Enter large pit in my stomach. I did exactly nothing for around 2.5 weeks. And finally, that nagging feeling was wearing me out, so I sent the dang email. All the while thinking, "God doesn't want me to work. I'm sure they've already hired someone. Or someone knows someone..." And then the director called. And then door after door after door kept opening up. I told Big Dan, I'll just keep walking until the doors quit opening. The day I went to interview, a child in the older 3's class dropped out of the program, making a spot available for Drew. I'm not joking. I kept walking through doors and walked right into a job.

It seems so obvious when I look at it, and yet everyday I doubt. Can this really be what He wants for our family? What about home and hearth and all that? Don't get me wrong-i know lots of women who work full-time and love it, work part-time and love it. I don't think any one way is right or wrong-I don't. I believe that as long as a mom is doing what she can to teach her children to walk in the ways of the Lord, that's what matters.

The funniest part of the whole thing is that Emily will be staying with Katy (who quit her job just prior to this whole thing coming up-oh, how the Lord is shifting us all around.) There will be a Drew and Lyla 2.0!!!!!!!!! Ha! Maybe Katy will start a blog so you can keep up with all of their capers. =)

Speaking of Katy...and let me pause to say that I wish everyone could have sisters as fabulous as mine. They are the best. No one knows you like a sister, because they've been there through it all-every dadgum bit of it. And they know what you need to hear. Katy said, "You know, there's a kid in your class who needs you." Wow. How about, Kel, you stop thinking about yourself for just one half second and consider what the Lord wants to do with you? Novel.

I got a job. I will be a working mom. And I think it will take me the next two months to come to terms with that!! Here we go!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Kelly, I just knew you got a job as a writer...I think that might be the next "next" adventure. Those kids are so blessed--your children are so blessed. Drew and Lyla 2.0 sounds awesome. God is so good--and so dadgum unpredictable. I love you
Jen

Bobbie Owenby said...

Kelly, I am soooooo proud of you. I still remember my little Kelly in Bible Drill and to now think you are a mother of two. May God bless you in your new endeavor. You will be a fantastic teacher. I love you and miss you.