Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haiti

I know it must seem strange that I posted a very shallow, rambling post in the midst of the horrible tragedy in Haiti. All over blogdom people were putting up links to sites for donations or linking to stories of people they knew.

I didn't know what to say.

The tragedy in Haiti is mind blowing. I have been especially burdened for two groups of people. First, there are many, some right here in Nashville, who were waiting to bring home children they had adopted. I have known many adopting families, and what I know is that the minute that mother sees her baby's picture and learns his or her name, that baby is hers. My heart breaks thinking that some of those mother's may not get to bring their babies home. Second, I watched three parents on the news today talking about their college students who were in Haiti to serve. There has been no word from them. My throat tightened as I carefully watched the mother who was a part of the interview. She was desperate. It was obvious she had not slept in days and it seemed that sitting still was almost too much for her. Her baby is lost and she feels like no one is helping her find her. I had to turn the channel.

I have been hesitant to post any links to just random organizations for the 8 of you to donate to. You know, over a week later, when I'm sure you have already done something. Unlike me. Paralyzed.

Today, though, I found out that our church is partnering with the Hands and Feet Project based out of Franklin. Fellowship Bible is sending a team of medical professionals to serve. They left today and they will be helping with the medical/surgical teams in Jacmel (the city where the Hands and Feet orphanage is). On the church's website it says that individuals donated planes and fuel to get the doctors there. I am thankful that those who are blessed enough to have their own planes are so freely giving in such a time of need.

So. Pray.

Give-you can donate money to Fellowship Bible for the relief effort or donate directly to the Hands and Feet Project on their website.

And Pray some more.

"He heals the brokenhearted
and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3

No comments: