Monday, January 11, 2010

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

Emily rolled over!! Last Thursday she rolled from her tummy to her back. I am way super excited about this. For obvious reasons, yes, but also because it assuages my mother guilt over "tummy time". When I was a brand new mom with Drew, "tummy time" was one of my first experiences with mommy angst and the inner over-achiever inside me. I mean, everything I read said "tummy time" is a MUST. Otherwise, your baby will never have any strong muscles, they'll lay like a limp noodle all the live long day, and on top of that they'll have a flat head.

Here's what you should know. Reflux babies do NOT like "tummy time". In fact, reflux babies despise "tummy time" and if you put them on their tummies, you're guaranteed some puke and some screaming. Screaming like their hair's on fire. Call me crazy, but I'm just not going to subject my baby to something she hates so much. Oh, I know. She'll grow up and hate shots and the dentist and all that, and I'll have to make her do those things. I'm just not going to start right now, ok? Ok.

Back to the rolling. Emily has not had much "tummy time" because 1) I forget about it, 2) She hates it. And apparently, it doesn't matter at all!! My theory is that reflux babies already have strong neck and stomach muscles due to all the arching around they do. Add to that, Emily's "crunches" from her on-going bowel issues, and you have one buff baby.

Her technique needs a little polishing. She will roll half way over, take a break and then finish up. It is so stinkin' cute.

Soon I will be taking a picture of her on her tummy looking up. It is almost scary how much she looks like Drew. I'll post a similar picture of him. Clonish, I tell you.

No comments: