Friday, January 23, 2009

Just Let It Go...

"Just let it go, just let it go..." This has become my mothering mantra of late. I'm not exactly what you would describe as a laid back person. I'm not even sort of marginally high strung. I'm full blown, wound tighter than a drum, perfectionistic, type-A madwoman! I've come to accept this about myself. And there are lots of things that having this personality has enabled me to do, and do well. However, raising a toddler (and at times two) does not fall into that category. There really is no room for a type-A. There really is no room for a "type" at all. Because a toddler mood and direction changes with the wind-and by wind I mean a squall! So, I'm working on it. I am reminding myself that letting my child run crazy around my house dragging out every inanimate object within reach does not mean he will turn into a juvenile delinquent. Spilled water and even spilled milk (groan) wipe up. Stickers will eventually come up off the floor (or the coffee table, or my CELL PHONE). The dog probably won't die from eating snack mix, nor will my child die from eating dog food. (And really, at this point it's all about survival, right?)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not quite to a place of Pollyanna bliss just yet. I'll not be leading any seminars in relaxation anytime soon, but I'm getting better. Baby steps.

There are a few things that are helping me "let go". And if you work for any of the companies I'm about to mention, please let them know I'm giving them free advertising, in case they want to give me free stuff or loads of cash!

1. There is no laundry "day". Back in the good old days (you know, two and half years ago...) I had one day a week set aside in which I did the laundry. I would have one, at most two, baskets of clothes that needed washing. By 2 p.m. the clothes were washed, dried, folded and put away. And somehow, until last week, I was still trying to pull this off. I was driving myself nuts with trying to get the laundry "done". It doesn't get done. It just is. Like eating. You're never really done eating, right? You get up and start all over the next day. Like laundry. No more will "laundry" be on my to-do list. My goal is to do a load a day, everyday. Until I die, apparently.

2. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I remember when these first came out, I never believed they would really work like they said they would. But they do!!! Permanent marker on the table?? No problem! Smoothie down the wall? No problem! Unidentifiable crusties in the playroom? No problem? These little babies help me just let the mess happen.

3. Washable Markers. I don't know why all markers since the beginning of markers were not made washable. Why would you make a child's product un-washable?? No idea. But for the genius who finally decided to do all us moms a favor and make washable markers-I bow to you. I don't know why kids would so much rather color with a marker than a crayon. Oh wait. Of course I do-because crayons don't color on your skin. Duh. Why would one want to color on a fantastic snowman coloring sheet when you have a blank canvas right below your head. And now, thanks to washable markers, body art rules in our house!

I'm sure there will be many more products that cross my path and help me on my journey to mothering zen. A few I'm thinking about trying include: ear plugs, mop skates, and the Sham-wow! Maybe the Sham-wow guy should come to my house and tape a demonstration. We'll see just how "Wow" they really are!!!

1 comment:

Lissy said...

This is one of my favorite Kelly-blog entries.... for sure. Especially the washable marker part. We are so in the same boat. I am SO thankful for those!!