Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cheap and Easy

Well, shoot. I was on a roll there for a little while-posting every day and all. Sorry for the delay of a new post, but I've been way too busy procrastinating writing a fraud letter to Visa. And, no the letter is still not written. I have some sort of serious mental block about doing it, which is too bad, really, because there is actual money at stake. Anyway.

Last weekend Katy and I hit up a consignment sale (which could really be a post all its' own) and did I ever hit the ever-lovin' jackpot!! But, let me back up. There is some rearranging going on around here, in preparation for baby sister. It has been a major process just to make the necessary decisions, not to mention the actual moving of furniture. Which, by the way has not happened yet. In the middle of all the planning, I decided I wanted the "guest" bathroom to be Drew's bathroom. We have been bathing and grooming Drew in our bathroom for quite some time, and I decided it was high time to reclaim my tub. The one small problem with this plan was my complete lack of motivation to a) strip more wallpaper or b) paint. And this all assumes that I had some great inspiration about what to put in the bathroom...which I didn't. Then, it dawned on me. I could leave the hideous border that is in the bathroom and just work around it. There are many things in my home that do not reflect my style (i.e. horrible navy curtains in the family room) but because of lack of funds, lack of time or my inability to thread the bobbin correctly on my sewing machine, are still with us 4 years later. Take for instance this border in the bathroom:



{Disclaimer-all of the pics in this post are horrible. You'll have to use your imagination a little...)

This border is not the worst in the house. Daniel's office was sporting some awesome jungle motif border more fit for a "boom boom room" than an attorney's home office, but this is pretty bad.

I thought to myself, "It does have an elephant on it, and Drew does like animals..." And I decided to go with a safari theme in the bathroom. Which brings me (finally) back to the consignment sale miracle. As I perused around, with a heaping pile of stuff, I stumbled upon a gigantic ziploc "big bag" filled with...SAFARI THEMED BATHROOM DECOR!!! Inside the bag were: shower curtain/liner; little monkey curtain rings; decorative towel, washcloth, and hand towel; and toothbrush holder, soap dispenser, and candle holder. Now. Are you ready for the best part???? All of those items cost me a mere $30!!!! For those of you not well versed in bathroom accessories-this is a complete steal. All I had to do was add a $10 rug from TJ Maxx, wash everything, and throw it in there and VOILA! New bathroom. Amazing. Even my "guest" towels match.

Here are some pictures (minus the new rug)





No comments: