Monday, August 24, 2009

Procrastination Nation

I am just writing to let you know that I finally wrote that dang fraud letter to Visa. In case you missed it, my iTunes account was hacked and $100 was spent on my debit card that was on file and "protected". Riiiiight. By the way, if you haven't removed your form of payment from iTunes, you might want to take a little bloggy break and go do that. Anyway, this letter has been hanging over my head for almost two weeks (!) and I finally just made myself do it. It took all of 30 minutes. But seriously, that is 30 minutes of precious nap time/free time that I will never get back. You think Visa will reimburse me for that??

I've mentioned before that I'm a huge procrastinator. There are lots of reasons people procrastinate and sadly, I am a complex case that procrastinates for approximately every reason you could think of to procrastinate. Let's start with the most obvious. I'm lazy. Ok, and next, I hate conflict. And then there's the fact that I have an irrational fear of making business-y phone calls and have for all of my life. (I can hear my dad laughing as I type!!) Add to the list that I am a weird breed of perfectionist and it all culminates in a lot of my life wasted by not just doing what needs to be done.

I thought I had overcome this when I was working my last job. I finally got to the point, where at the end of each day when I was making a to-do list for the next day, (I LOVE a list!), I would put the most dreaded jobs at the top. I finally learned to just get those out of the way. So, my day would only be ruined for an hour or two instead of ruining the whole day!! Especially if a call to an irate parent was on the list. Talk about dreading Mondays!!!

Now that I'm a SAHM (that is cool internet speak for "Stay at Home Mom") and I'm the master of my own domain, I've fallen right back into my same lame patterns. This has been especially true through two first trimesters of pregnancy. Did you know when you are first pregnant it's like someone (or something) goes into your brain and scrambles it around?? It is.

The last few weeks I've been trying some new things to get me back on track. (And now I can hear Big Dan laughing. If you only knew how many "new things" I've tried out in our eight years of marriage. Bless him.) It is helping a little. And by a little I mean I still put off writing that letter for two weeks and I pretty much begged Daniel to make some phone calls today!!

But I am on top of the laundry AND ironing. That's gotta count for something.

No comments: