Monday, August 10, 2009

Free Nashville-The Frist Center

This is the art museum, not to be confused with a Dr.'s office called the Frist Clinic. Just saying. It would be two VERY different experiences!!

When we first moved to Nashville and I was in "retirement" (hee hee) I had a whole list of things that I planned to do around town. One of those things included spending some time at the Frist Center. It never happened, along with most of the other things on my list. Other than laying by the pool and reading celebrity magazines, I'm not really sure what I did with all that time. Anyway, all that to say, today was my first trip to the Frist Center.

Last week at story time I ran into another mom I know, who I hadn't seen in a while. We were talking about story time and how much we loved it and I mentioned that I really liked that it was all free! She said, "I have another great free thing for you to do!" Well, sign me up! She let me know that the Frist Center is running a program this year where on every Monday of 2009 you can bring a canned good to donate and get in the museum FREE! Normal cost for an adult is $8.50! Kids are always free, and they have a section of the museum called "Art Quest" where kids can make all sorts of art projects.

Drew actually liked looking at some of the paintings. He also like stomping his feet really loud (but his mouth was quiet!!) so we didn't hang around in the gallery for long. But, he had a great time making projects on his own. Each station has instructions, and they are mostly geared towards school age kids. That said, each activity is very easily adapted to the little kids. Drew loved painting, gluing, fingerprinting, and making an ink print. Most of the things are things we do at home, but the materials were much nicer, I didn't have to clean it up and I could focus on spending time with Drew because I wasn't inside my house that currently looks like a toxic waste dump.

We did have to pay for parking. I parked in the lot and paid $3 for 2 hours of parking which is kind of high for a cheapie like me. My sister suggested I park at a meter. I should've listened! They also have a nice cafe there with a kid's menu. I didn't go in, so I'm not sure about the prices. I'm sure that it is not a cheap menu. They do have a nice courtyard with tables. We packed a lunch but it was way too hot, so we ate in the car. In the A/C!

All in all, a great, FREE activity. The ArtQuest portion of the museum is open Mon-Sat 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Sundays 1:00-5:30 p.m. The museum also features periodic Family Free Days on weekends. The next Family Free Day is Oct. 18. Check the website for more info as the date gets closer. (http://www.fristcenter.org/site/families/)

No comments: